What you should feel?? When performed correctly, you will feel a “burn” or fatigue build up in the muscles around the stomach/trunk. You will also feel the muscles of your hips and legs working. If you are engaging your abdominals correctly then they should feel most of the work.
- Laying on your back with your knees bent and in the air
- Slowly kick each leg out in a bicycle motion and alternate
- Keep your torso stable throughout and do not let your lower back arch off the ground
- You can have your hands on the ground next to you to help if needed
- Continue the set for the agreed amount of repetitions
Main muscles targeted:
- Hip flexors
Bicycle kicks are a classic exercise used to strengthen the outer trunk muscles and the hip flexors. If you are able to recruit your core muscles correctly it can be a good way to challenge your core whilst the external muscles are working to perform the exercise.