What you should feel?? When performed correctly, you will feel the muscles in the thigh, especially the outer/lateral thigh and side of the glutes.
- Standing with one foot forwards and one foot behind you
- ensure the feet are still and shoulder width apart
- Attempt to bend the knee of the leg behind you and lower it towards the floor
- Ensure your weight is evenly distributed between the front heel and the back legs ball of the foot
- push through both feet to stand back up to the starting position
- Do not let your front knee go far over the toes
- and repeat until you have finished the set
Main muscles targeted:
- Hamstrings (upper)
A lunge is a very functional exercise that we perform often in our lives without realising. Lunges will strengthen the legs and also the buttocks in a way that will increase stability when stepping forward, but also help you maintain mobility and ability to lower yourself down to objects on the floor.