Regular Exercise & Depression
Think about this :
When you exercise regularly
1. your energy levels increase
2.Your sleep can improve
3. You are distracted from everyday worries and problems
4. When exercising in a group setting there is a sense of social support and being part of something.
5. You are taking charge of your own health and where this can lead you to.
6. It gives a sense of purpose & accomplishment.
7. In turn, regular exercise will then build self esteem and control.
How much Exercise is enough ?
Not all depression can be treated simply with exercise . However numerous studies have found that regular exercise is a very effective way
of treating many forms of depression and anxiety.
* 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week .Not all this time has to be done at once, it can be broken up into 10 minute intervals with different activities making up the 30 minutes.
* Making everyday activity part of your day, eg : cleaning the house, walking the stairs instead of taking the lift at work, gardening. These all add to keeping your body and mind active .
What type of Regular Exercise is best ?
There are 2 types of exercise that are beneficial :
1. Weight bearing ie: resistance & strength training
2. Aerobic ie : cycling, walking jogging.
It all depends on what interests the individual,lets face it if you can enjoy it thats a good start !
Holistic Physio Fitness are qualified to help you find what you enjoy, what interests you and what your body & mind need to make that difference physically and mentally.
Why Exercise for Depression ?
Exercise increases the mood – lifting properties in our brain called endorphins and increases serotonin which regulates mood,sleep, libido and appetite.
This is what helps our bodies & minds become balanced ,calm and rested.
Holistic Physio Fitness can help , please call us on 9999-6666